Software DevelopmentSoftware development is the process of developing software through successive phases in an orderly way. This process includes not only the actual writing of code but also the preparation of requirements and objectives, the design of what is to be coded, and confirmation that what is developed has met objectives.Before systems development methods came into being, the development of new systems or products was often carried out by using the experience and intuition of management and technical personnel. However, the complexity of modern systems and computer products long ago made the need clear for some kind of orderly development process.
Typical phases of software development:
1) Identification of required software
2) Analysis of the software requirements
3) Detailed specification of the software requirements
4) Software design
- The existing system is evaluated and its deficiencies identified, usually through interviewing system users and support personnel.
- The new system requirements are defined. In particular, the deficiencies in the existing system must be addressed with specific proposals for improvement.
- The proposed system is designed. Plans are laid out concerning the physical construction, hardware, operating systems, programming, communications, and security issues.
- The new system is developed. The new components and programs must be obtained and installed. Users of the system must be trained in its use, and all aspects of performance must be tested. If necessary, adjustments must be made at this stage.
- The system is put into use. This can be done in various ways. The new system can phased in, according to application or location, andthe old system gradually replaced. In some cases, it may be more cost-effective to shut down the old system and implement the new system all at once.
- Once the new system is up and running for awhile, it should be exhaustively evaluated. Maintenance must be kept up rigorously at all times.Users of the system should be kept up-to-date concerning the latest modification sand procedures.